Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pic of the Day: Moose (Mooses? Meese?)

Moose
(All photos clickable)

Young moose keeps a watchful eye on the biped creeping around with the camera. Mother simply thinks 'I could squash you like a bug' and keeps eating.

I walked outside earlier and found these moose grazing on the grass at the end of my driveway. They saw me before I saw them - things that large have no business being that quiet and camoflaged. The calf was a few yards closer than the mother, and although it was wary, it kept grazing. I was 15-20 yards away, leaning on the car for balance (and quick escape!). I moved a few feet forward to steady the camera on a tree, and the calf walked over to the mother, who grunted, then they both continued eating.

For a sense of size, the mother's shoulder blade is probably a few inches above the top of my head. That seems typical for the adult moose I've seen so far. Yikes.

Moose Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment