Sunday, December 11, 2011

Visit to San Francisco

Golden Gate and Tree

I went to San Francisco this week for the American Geophysical Union fall meeting. I didn't present anything myself but was credited in a poster and a talk, both related to my sprites research from the summer. Oh, and a few of my photos made it into the talk as well, so that's scientific and photographic credit! Sooner or later I intend to do some science posts on sprites here on the blog. The NHK crew filmed myself and the rest of the sprites science team together as we watched new footage NHK got of sprites from the space station. Word is the TV special about our sprites exploits will air late this spring on either Discovery or National Geographic channel, I'll pass on the word when I hear more.The AGU meeting doesn't make for interesting blog material, but I did find a night to head out to one of the San Francisco beaches and do some nighttime ocean photography, which I really enjoy. First was the ruins of the Sutro Baths:

Sutro Baths and Seal Rocks

Pointy things Under the Sea

Then the rocky beach next door:

Land's End

Shore On the beach

Rocks, big and small

And of course I had to take a few shots of the Golden Gate bridge, though I tried to find a more interesting perspective than the 1000 tourist photos taken every day of this thing. Success or not? You be the judge:

Golden Gate and rocky cliff

I'm back in Fairbanks now. I hope to do a more substantive post soon, including more science, but probably not until this week (finals week!) is over. Enjoy the pictures for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment